COVID-19 Vaccinations for the Disability Community
Be the squeaky wheel that gets you a COVID-19 vaccination ASAP
For people with an SCI getting vaccinated will not be an easy task. We have written the Ministry of Health, written all the regional health units, positioned debate with the opposition government NDP at Queens Park and continuously building partnerships to clear a pathway for Phase Two vaccinations for people with disabilities in Ontario.
Our recommendations are simple. We are not asking for much. We are asking the Ontario Government to treat people with disabilities as a whole and not splinter each condition on a priority scale and work with regional health units to just simply have a stream within vaccination sites for people with disabilities.
The good news is that the Ontario Government has identified people with an SCI as a Phase Two prioritization and the government’s budget announced new funding to transport seniors and people with disabilities to vaccination sites or arrange home based vaccination where required.
Below are some things you can do to get registered for a vaccine.
- Call Your Family Doctor and seek advice
- Contact your home care provider and inquire if they have a plan for their clients
- If you are receiving outpatient services in any hospital, call them and inquire
- Call your Regional Health Unit and seek their support
- Use the Ontario Vaccination Portal Online and navigate through a registration to vaccine request.
Be bold, be relentless as our community is informing us that this is not an easy process. For further assistance required, contact [email protected]