3.0 Digital Job Search Skills
Basic Computer Skills
Almost all current job search trends require some basic computer skills. Many people continue to work remotely, and most job applications go through a formal submission process through an online portal.
When you are applying for jobs, it is important to have some computer skills so that you can apply for positions you are interested in.
Important computer skills:
- Writing a resume and cover letter with Microsoft Word or Google Docs.
- Converting Microsoft Word files into PDF format.
- Using PowerPoint to put together a slide deck/presentation.
- Managing an email account and digital calendar.
- Writing a professional email.
SCIO can help you navigate digital job search skills by working with you individually to create a plan that aligns with your career goals.
Understand how to use Zoom, Teams or Google Meet for virtual interviews
Since the pandemic has begun, many job interviews and meetings take place through a virtual platform that allows people to connect through webcam and microphone. It is possible that your job interviews will take place on a virtual meeting platform, so it is a good idea to get familiar with how it works.
Tips for getting familiar with virtual meeting platforms:
- Download Zoom.
- Create an account – it’s free.
- Set up a short virtual meeting with a friend to gain some experience using the platform.
If you end up getting a job interview through Zoom, always be sure to treat it like a regular in-person interview.
Tips for Zoom interviews:
- Dress professionally.
- Do a test run of your camera and microphone to ensure you can be clearly and audibly heard.
- Choose a plain background.
- Make sure to mute yourself while you are not speaking; this helps to ensure that everyone is heard clearly while speaking.
We would love to support you on your journey to land your next job.
By taking a look at the information in this toolkit, we will be better equipped to help you by delivering tailored services that align with your background, interests and skills.
SCIO Employment Services is able to help you navigate your job search. By signing up for our program, you can participate in comprehensive workshops about resume and cover letter writing, job interviews, digital job search skills and the attitudinal aspects of job hunting that will make a positive impact on your journey.
Reach out to us today!
Our team of Employment Counsellors and Specialists are fully equipped to work with you individually to help you meet your goals and land meaningful work.
Contact us at 416-422-5644, ext. 245 or 250
1-877-422-1112 ext. 245 or 250