• A  A  A  

Attendant Services

Help where you need it

Some activities, for some people with spinal cord injury, require extra help. This shouldn't interfere with your goal to live as independently as possible but it can mean finding personal care by professional attendants that you trust, in your home or workplace. We're proud of our skilled staff attendants and the support they provide to clients, who tell us, often, how awesome their attendants are.

Right to your door

Our Attendant Services program – currently offered only in the Greater Toronto Area – delivers pre-scheduled, non-medical personal support services to assist with the activities of daily living. Our attendants are dedicated to making a positive contribution to your independence and participation in the community, allowing you to live the life you choose.

Below are some commonly asked questions about Attendant Services. Let us know if you have anything on your mind not addressed here and we’ll be happy to help.

What Attendant Services are available?

There are standard and advanced services.

Standard Attendant Services include:

  • Personal grooming and hygiene such as bathing and toileting
  • Dressing and undressing
  • Support with light meal preparation, set up and feeding
  • Transfers and (re)positioning
  • Light housekeeping as related to the activities of daily living

Advanced Attendant Services include assistance with:

  • Standard Attendant Services
  • Breathing (tracheotomy, respirator)
  • Bowel routines
  • Intermittent catheterization

When are attendants available to help me?

You can receive support from attendants seven days per week from 6 am-12 am (midnight). All services are pre-scheduled, meaning you cannot call in to arrange an immediate service. Instead, you set up a schedule in advance that meets your needs.

Am I eligible for Ministry of Health funded Attendant Services?

If you answer “yes” to the questions below, then you are eligible:

  • Are you looking for non-medical services?
  • Are you able to self-direct your services?
  • Do you have a permanent physical disability?
  • Are you 16 years of age or older?
  • Are you able to have any medical/professional needs met through an existing community health network?
  • Are you in possession of a valid Ontario Health Card?
  • Are you unable to have your needs met through other existing programs or services?
  • Are you residing in Toronto?
  • Do you have all necessary equipment and supplies for the delivery of service?

How do I apply for funded Attendant Services?

In order to receive Attendant Services from us at SCIO without fees, you must apply through a centralized point of access operated by the Centre for Independent Living in Toronto (CILT). CILT is a non-profit resource organization that helps people with disabilities gain independence and integrate into the community.

When you apply through CILT, be sure to name Spinal Cord Injury Ontario as your Attendant Services provider. Once your application has been assessed and approved by CILT, your application will be forwarded to us. We will then contact you to discuss your eligibility, individual needs and the available funding.

Contact cilt.ca/programs-and-services/asac/ or call CILT at 416-599-2458 to get started.

What is the SCIO Fee-for-Attendant-Services program?

This program is designed to meet the needs of people with physical disabilities on a temporary basis by providing personal support services for a fee and within the policies and procedures set out by Spinal Cord Injury Ontario. The services provided are client-directed.

To apply for Fee-for-Attendant-Services, contact us at asinfo@sciontario.org or 416-241-1433.

Who can I contact with questions and for more guidance?

Reach out to us at SCIO.

416-241-1433  |  Toll free: 1-877-422-1112  |  Fax: 416-241-2466

email: asinfo@sciontario.org

Monday-Friday, 9 am – 5 pm

LHIN funding documents: MSAA Multi-Service Accountability Agreement and Declaration of Compliance
? Ask Us
Not sure how we can help? Looking for answers? Connect with InfoLine:
Call 1-877-422-1112 or
416-422-5644, ext. 213